Saturday, October 31, 2009

Green Ash

When we first moved into our house, the tree that had been planted in our front island died. We quickly replaced it with a Magnolia, it died. Then we got a Maple tree, it died. Finally when I was just about ready to give up having a tree in our front island all together, Home Depot put all of their trees on Clearance for fall/ winter. I found a tree called Green Ash, the description said that it was drought tolerant, and would grow in nearly any soil. It cost $4.97 and had a one year warranty. I bought the tree. It quickly adapted to our yard and shot up. It is taller than nearly everyone else's trees and was planted much later than most. It is a happy tree, plus during the spring and summer it blocks me from seeing my neighbor's house across the street :) This year when the tree began to change 2-3 weeks ago, it looked beautiful, especially with my yellow lantana still in bloom.

No matter how hard I think about this next part, I can not for the life of me figure it out. But as soon as the leaves began falling from the Green Ash, Micah said "The leaves are falling that mean Halloween is almost here." Halloween is by far not one of the most celebrated things at our home. We don't go trick or treating (we'll go to the church) So I'm not sure what made him even think this. Anyway every morning when Micah wakes up first he asks me, "Is the ice cream bus coming today?" Then he asks what the day is and if he's going to school. For the last couple of weeks every day Micah has commented on the tree and told me that Halloween is coming because the leaves are nearly gone. Stacy and I just laughed it off until yesterday. This is what we saw!!

There is one lone leaf left on this tree. Take a real close look and you'll see it at the top. Needless to say, as soon as there was daylight outside this morning, I looked at that tree.... Yep, you guessed it, NO LEAVES!! It is CRAZY! Just thought I'd share :)

1 comment:

Cecilia said...

You have quite the smart boy on your hands!